Enabling OIC Sensor Data Monitoring¶
This tutorial shows you how to enable sensor data monitoring via the OIC protocol over BLE transport in an application. It extends the example application in the Enabling an Off-Board Sensor in an Existing Application Tutorial and assumes that you have worked through that tutorial.
This tutorial has two parts:
- Part 1 shows you how to enable OIC sensor support in the sensors_test application. The procedure only requires setting the appropriate syscfg setting values for the application target. The objective is to show you to quickly bring up the sensors_test application and view the sensor data with the Mynewt Smart Device Controller app that is available for iOS and Android devices.
- Part 2 shows you how to modify the bleprph_oic application code to add OIC sensor support. The objective is to show you how to use the Sensor Framework API and OIC server API to develop an OIC over BLE sensor server application.
Ensure that you meet the following prerequisites before continuing with the tutorials:
- Complete the Enabling an Off-Board Sensor in an Existing Application Tutorial
- Install the Mynewt Smart Device Controller on an iOS or Android Device. See the Sensor Tutorials Overview on how to install the Mynewt Smart Device Controller app.
The sensor framework provides support for a sensor enabled application to host the sensor devices as OIC resources. The sensor framework provides the following OIC support:
- Creates OIC resources for each sensor device that is enabled in the application. It creates an OIC discoverable and observable resource for each sensor type that the sensor device is configured for.
- Processes CoAP GET requests for the sensor OIC resources. It reads the sensor data samples, encodes the data, and sends back a response.
The sensor package (
hw/sensor) defines the following syscfg settings
for OIC support:
SENSOR_OIC: This setting specifies whether to enable sensor OIC server support. The setting is enabled by default. The sensor package includes the
net/oicpackage for the OIC support when this setting is enabled. The
OC_SERVERsyscfg setting that specifies whether to enable OIC server support in the
net/oicpackage must also be enabled.
SENSOR_OIC_OBS_RATE: Sets the OIC server observation rate.